Thursday, February 8, 2007

Frappuccinoed in La Paz

Day 3 for me in La Paz and I spent the afternoon walking the malecon seaside sidewalk. The sun is about to set over the bay and my stomach is full with frappuccino.

Who would have thought? I feel so funny having a belly full of frappuccino in Mexico. I never buy those things, but this place is a trip, teaming with tourists cruising the malecon (mostly older white tourists). So, I figured why not embrace its odd mix with a frappuccino while working on my laptop at the sidewalk cafe. Afterall, I did spend the afternoon eating tacos de pescado and ceviche with a cold Pacifico at a carrito down the way; and the old man next to me just powered a huge piece of chocolate cake, so I don't feel so bad.

Here in La Paz, 'tis the season when many species of migrating whales visit the Sea of Cortez - gray whales, blue whales and humpback whales, among others. I haven't had any whale sightings yet and most likely won't until I set sea on Sunday for a six-day boat trip. But, here's a few snapshots of what I've discovered here on land so far:
A little skate park where the local kids kick it - un sitio que se llama Parque de la Amistad (Friendship Park).
My local wine store, La Cava del Patron. It's only a few blocks from where I'm staying. I told the lady that works there that I like to drink wine at home in Los Angeles. I told her that I couldn't believe such a nice wine store was so close to where I was staying here in La Paz. She told me, "El vino la sigue." Ha!!! Translation: The wine follows you. So true.A mural by world famous, marine life artist Wyland depicting, you guessed it, marine life.


Oooo, and the most exciting discovery is that La Paz will host their annual Carnaval February 15 to 20. Yessica and Aremmy are some of the chicas competing to be the Reina del Carnaval.

Pobre Aremmy...someone ripped this sign of hers and another one had chicle stuck to her nose.

Stay tuned and I'll let you know how it turns out.



For more information about the organization I'm volunteering with here in Baja California Sur, please visit www.ecologyproject.org. Ecology Project International does excellent work in environmental education and conservation involving scientists, students and teachers in the U.S., Mexico, Costa Rica, Ecuador and beyond.

Oh no! The frappuccinos were two-for-one and they just brought me my second.