Saturday, March 31, 2007

La Brea Tar Pits: Good grounds for time travel

When desire strikes to escape the day-to-day grind of the modern world, nothing resets a brain better than a visit to the La Brea Tar Pits. Just a few hours cruising around bubbling tar, excavation pits and lifesize statues of giant ground sloths, bears, sabertooth tigers and dire wolves is unbelievablely calming for a racing mind in need of a vacation from the present.

I like to imagine running wild in the ancient LA basin with the Ice Age animals. I think about how I would feel if I were suddenly stuck in tar - a mental exercise I highly recommend. The museum even has a tank that recreates how animals became stuck in the sticky La Brea asphalt.

Imagine trying to lift a leg to escape from an oily grave. Awesome, right?

For more info on the Page Museum and the La Brea Tar Pits, please visit www.tarpits.org