Saturday, May 19, 2007

State Beach Squirrels: How hungry are they?

“The squirrels are eating your food,” shouts a neighboring camper, waking us out of our stone cold slumber.

It’s my friend Sole and my first time camping in a while and we forgot to properly pack up and put away our cookout party goodies before crashing out. Oops.

I hop out of our tent to fight off the invasion, but not without first catching them in the act.


Those pesky squirrels opened and ate our can of Planter’s mixed nuts, half a bag of marshmallows, half a box of graham crackers and a brand new big-grab bag of BBQ potato chips that I had been looking forward to eating myself.

I imagine they had been waiting all night for us to finish up our party so that they could get theirs started. I felt bad for their little squirrel bellies. I wondered if they would learn from their binge eating mistakes. Missing my BBQ chips, I knew I had learned from my leaving out food mistakes.

With our squirrel situation under control, Sole and I grabbed morning coffees at the camp’s general store, chatted up some haggard regulars, and headed for the beach.


Leo Carrillo State Beach straddles the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu with camp grounds in the canyon on one side of the painted highway overpass and long beaches, tide pools and coves on the other.

Luckily there are no squirrels on the beach, but I did see a posting for a weekend workshop with the local rangers titled, “Mountain Lions: How scary are they?”


Yikes, I thought. Weren’t the squirrels enough to think about?

To begin your own brave adventure in Malibu, reserve a Leo Carrillo camp spot today: http://www.parks.ca.gov/