Tuesday, January 8, 2008

A night of hope, inspiration and El Pollo Loco


Tonight was my first real taste of excitement for this year's presidential election. My friend Tigra had attended an event last week when Obama won the Iowa primary. She said it was dope, so I tagged along tonight to check the scene and learn more as the results came in for the New Hampshire primary.

What I found was Obama's campaign headquarters for Los Angeles - the California for Obama campaign has offices in Sacramento, Oakland, Palo Alto, LA and San Diego. Located on the ninth floor of a Wilshire Boulevard office building in Korea Town, the seemingly temporary space was abuzz with the most diverse group of people I've been around in long time. It was refreshing. You could tell who worked on the campaign and their enthusiasm was contagious.

People grabbed spots on the floor to sit around the TV screen as the New Hampshire primary votes rolled in. Tigra and I helped ourselves to platters of El Pollo Loco and even indulged in some Cream Soda and donuts. We peeped the scene, mingled and will definitely be back for more. Plus the HMS Bounty bar is a few doors down - an excellent spot to chill, watch the election results and strike up a little conversation with other interested bar flys.

Obama came in second to Clinton tonight, but the speech he gave as he graciously conceded gave both Tigra and I goosebumps. The crowd in New Hampshire was shouting "We want change." Obama explained that he's been criticized for giving false hope of change, but he reminds his supporters, "In the unlikely story of America, there has never been anything false about hope." He's an outstanding speaker - repeating "Yes We Can" as he references stories of people overcoming the odds throughout history- slaves, immigrants, women, etc. Tonight was my first night hearing him give such a speech, but what little he said had me convinced that having him in the race is a good thing. I'd even venture to say he's as genuine and inspirational as a modern day MLK.

I have much more to learn, but tonight was a start.